|Profession||Skills Required||Duties Performed|
- Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Systems Analysis: Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Troubleshooting: Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Prepare collections of preserved specimens or microscopic slides for species identification and study of development or disease.
- Analyze characteristics of animals to identify and classify them.
- Study characteristics of animals such as origin, interrelationships, classification, life histories and diseases, development, genetics, and distribution.
- Time Management: Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Management of Financial Resources: Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Study nutritional requirements of animals and nutritive values of animal feed materials.
- Communicate research findings to the scientific community, producers, and the public.
- Research and control animal selection and breeding practices to increase production efficiency and improve animal quality.
- Equipment Maintenance: Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Quality Control Analysis: Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Advise animal owners regarding sanitary measures, feeding, general care, medical conditions, and treatment options.
- Provide care to a wide range of animals or specialize in a particular species, such as horses or exotic birds.
- Perform administrative and business management tasks such as scheduling appointments, accepting payments from clients, budgeting, and maintaining business records.