|Profession||Skills Required||Duties Performed|
- Management of Financial Resources: Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Programming: Writing computer programs for various purposes.
- Compile data for use in activities such as gene expression profiling, genome annotation, and structural bioinformatics.
- Confer with vendors to evaluate new equipment or reagents or to discuss the customization of product lines to meet user requirements.
- Test new and updated bioinformatics tools and software.
- Troubleshooting: Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Systems Evaluation: Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Learning Strategies: Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Isolate, identify and prepare specimens for examination.
- Set up, adjust, calibrate, clean, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory and field equipment.
- Conduct standardized biological, microbiological or biochemical tests and laboratory analyses to evaluate the quantity or quality of physical or chemical substances in food or other products.
- Management of Material Resources: Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
- Operations Analysis: Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Conduct research, along with life scientists, chemists, and medical scientists, on the engineering aspects of the biological systems of humans and animals.
- Manage team of engineers by creating schedules, tracking inventory, creating and using budgets, and overseeing contract obligations and deadlines.
- Conduct preventative maintenance on equipment.