- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Troubleshooting: Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Examine lifting and conveying devices, such as elevators, escalators, moving sidewalks, lifts and hoists, inclined railways, ski lifts, and amusement rides to ensure safety and proper functioning.
- Compute estimates of work completed or of needed renovations or upgrades, and approve payment for contractors.
- Approve and sign plans that meet required specifications.