- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Science: Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Operation and Control: Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Develop improved measurement techniques, soil conservation methods, soil sampling devices, and related technology.
- Conduct research to determine best methods of planting, spraying, cultivating, harvesting, storing, processing, or transporting horticultural products.
- Provide advice regarding the development of regulatory standards for land reclamation and soil conservation.
- Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Installation: Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Test agricultural machinery and equipment to ensure adequate performance.
- Design agricultural machinery components and equipment using computer-aided design (CAD) technology.
- Conduct educational programs that provide farmers or farm cooperative members with information that can help them improve agricultural productivity.