- Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Equipment Selection: Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Management of Personnel Resources: Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Prepare sketches of ideas, detailed drawings, illustrations, artwork, or blueprints, using drafting instruments, paints and brushes, or computer-aided design equipment.
- Design graphic material for use as ornamentation, illustration, or advertising on manufactured materials and packaging or containers.
- Supervise assistants' work throughout the design process.