- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Fabricate models or samples in paper, wood, glass, fabric, plastic, metal, or other materials, using hand or power tools.
- Develop industrial standards and regulatory guidelines.
- Read publications, attend showings, and study competing products and design styles and motifs to obtain perspective and generate design concepts.