Geology Jobs and Geoscience
This section provides information on Geology jobs, degrees and functions of a geologist, also provides explanation of relation to Geoscience.
What is Geoscience about?
Geoscience is part of science that specifically deals with the earth, it is generally classified as earth sciences and many branches form from geoscience including geology.
What is Geology about?
Geology is a major area of scientific study and is under the branch of Earth Sciences also referred to as Geoscience. The field of Geology fundamentally deals with history of the earth as recorded in rocks. In industry geologists examine mineral deposits and rocks and assess their value, this may include coal and other valuable deposits.
Qualifications in Geology
Students may study geology through the Earth Sciences department or Science department at most universities and colleges. The qualification is usually carried out through a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Geology. Throughout their degree students will learn basics of a science degree including biology, chemistry, mathematics and in combination with their geology major, learn techniques that will be invaluable as a scientist including laboratory analysis techniques.
What do Geologists do?
Geologists are employed to do many things. Below are some of the wide range of tasks geologists are employed to do, they include:
- Exploring for petroleum, mineral and coal deposits
- Laboratory analysis of soils, fossils, water and minerals.
- Geological studies in regional area
- Environmental impacts in relation to earth sciences including effects of excavating and mining.
- Geological High-tech research
- Investment advice in relation to rocks and mineral deposits prospecting
- Advice in construction of dams or tunnels
- Search for Underground water
Where Geologists find employment?
Geologists can find employment in most fields related to the environment, more specifically it is common most geologists find employment in:
- Mineral exploration
- Energy exploration
- Environmental organizations
- Government (Federal, State)
- Regional Construction(Dams,Tunnels)
Other Related specialist areas in Geoscience, who combine knowledge of geology
with other scientific disciplines include: