- Management of Personnel Resources: Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Troubleshooting: Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Time Management: Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Study building plans and inspect structures to assess material and equipment needs, to establish the sequence of pipe installations, and to plan installation around obstructions such as electrical wiring.
- Install oxygen and medical gas in hospitals.
- Weld small pipes or special piping, using specialized techniques, equipment, or materials, such as computer-assisted welding or microchip fabrication.