- Equipment Selection: Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Management of Financial Resources: Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Turn valves to shut off steam, water, or other gases or liquids from pipe sections, using valve keys or wrenches.
- Cut and bore holes in structures, such as bulkheads, decks, walls, and mains, prior to pipe installation, using hand and power tools.
- Prepare cost estimates for clients.