- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Science: Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Compile and interpret students' test results, along with information from teachers and parents, to diagnose conditions, and to help assess eligibility for special services.
- Assess an individual child's needs, limitations, and potential, using observation, review of school records, and consultation with parents and school personnel.
- Refer clients to specialists or to other institutions for noncounseling treatment of problems.