University of Michigan has two campuses each providing a valuable contributions to their community. Since its founding in 1959 with a gift of 196 acres from Ford Motor Company, the University of Michigan–Dearborn has been distinguished by its commitment to providing excellent educational opportunities responsive to the needs of southeastern Michigan. While The history of the University of Michigan-Flint began in 1944, when the Flint Board of Education requested that a University of Michigan Extension Office open in Flint, has seen the university meet the needs of the community through its pursuit of quality education.